Holidays Around the World Blog Hop

November 9, 2015

Buongiorno everyone!! 

I'm SO excited to be one of your stops on this journey around the world that we have planned for you!

In case you couldn't guess from my greeting, I'll be sharing some ideas about Christmas in Italy. 


Here are some great YouTube videos you can show to your class. 

I especially love the first one for the younger kiddos because it shows what Christmas in Italy is like through a child's eyes. 

(I also love that the little girl speaks in Italian. This year I've been teaching my students some of the phrases I've learned in my Italian class and they love it! After I explain directions and ask if they understand, they always respond with "Capisco!" which means "I understand." in Italian. Not to toot my own horn but I'm proud of myself for sparking their interest in foreign languages.)  

This one is much longer and probably better suited for the older kids but it gives a lot of great information.




This is the classic Italian story of a grumpy old woman who ends up becoming one of Italy's most beloved people. Keep reading to find a freebie that goes along with it.


After reading The Legend of Old Befana, I give my each of my students their own "broom." They are super easy to make- all you need are some Dum-Dums, brown paper bags (I just reused a grocery bag) and some sort of tie or ribbon. 


Just cut a piece of the bag off, slit the bottom and a little bit of the top, wrap it around the sucker and tie it. Presto! You have La Befana's broom!


I've also created this mini-unit that has a few fun activities to supplement your Holidays Around the World unit. It includes a reader, four sentence building cut and pastes, write the room, two differentiated writing papers and a word search. Click the picture to get yours!




Here's what you get in the freebie:

  • Two differentiated story sequencing pages (one for the littles who can just draw pictures and one for more advanced who can write). 
  • Two differentiated "My favorite part" writing prompt pages (one with a sentence starter and one without).
  • Two grammar sorts (nouns/adjectives and singular/plural).

Click the picture to download your freebie!



I hope you had un grande momento (a great time) in Italy! You have many other destinations waiting for you though so you must be on your way. Check out all the other countries that are waiting for you!


We've also included a FREE passport for you to use in addition to all the great materials you've found along your journey. Click the passport below to grab the Italy page and make sure to download each passport page from the other countries. You can find the passport cover HERE






10 comments:

  1. I love that you are using your Italian classes in your actual class, and that you students love it too! I'm so proud of you :) I can't wait to see what your future holds... I'm so excited for you.

    LOVE the craft, so adorable! I'll definitely be doing this one with my kids!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always read the Old Befana to my class, but that broom lollipop craft is TOO CUTE! Thank you for sharing! =)

    Lauren
    A Teachable Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the La Befana book! We will definitely be making those adorable brooms after reading it this year! Thank you so much for sharing!

    Slainte,
    ☘ Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you chose a Tomie book too! He is one of my favorites from when I was little. I think your book is the only one I don't have! Definitely adding it to my amazon cart ASAP. The little broom is too cute, I will have to try that with my kiddos this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This takes me back to my own first grade experience! Tomie DePaola is a classic author. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas. I especially love the video clips. I am always amazed by how well students retain new information when it is presented in video format. Enjoy teaching about the holidays this year!

    Laura
    Core Inspiration by Laura Santos

    ReplyDelete
  6. My students are completely transfixed by other countries, so these videos will certainly be a hit! Thanks so much for the great freebie!

    ~Erin
    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing of information for me. If you are interested in a number of areas such as kitchen cabinets accessories (phụ kiện tủ bếp), quotes accessories cupboard (bảng báo giá phụ kiện tủ bếp), Stainless steel cabinets (tủ kho inox)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing of information for me. If you are interested in a number of areas such as self-rolling mosquito net doors (cửa lưới chống muỗi tự cuốn), installation of doors mosquito nets (lắp đặt cửa lưới chống muỗi), door Mosquito netting good kind (cửa lưới chống muỗi loại nào tốt)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing of information for me. If you are interested in the field of laser engraving machine, I would like to share with you some information for your reference as follows: laser cutting engraving machine ( Máy khắc cắt laser ), laser engraving machines ( Máy khắc bằng tia laser ), laser seal engraving machine ( Máy khắc dấu laser ) , industrial laser marking machine ( Máy khắc laser công nghiệp ), laser cutting machine decal ( Máy cắt laser decal ), laser cutting machine on canvas ( Máy cắt laser trên vải ), laser 1390 ( Máy khắc laser 1390 ), laser 9060 ( Máy khắc laser 9060 ), laser 3020 ( Máy khắc laser 3020 ), laser 1325 ( Máy khắc laser 1325 )

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top